Frequently Asked Heating & Cooling Questions
Why should I have my HVAC system inspected, and when should I schedule an inspection?
We expect our HVAC systems to deliver warm or cool air when we need it the most. Waking up to a cold house on a frosty morning is a shock to your system that can put a huge wrinkle in your day. Getting regular HVAC inspections from a trusted, certified technician can save you from such troubles. An HVAC Comfort technician can identify any minor issues before they become major problems and take care of any necessary AC repairs or furnace repairs to keep your system running smoothly from season to season.
When are the best times to have your HVAC system inspected?
- For winter furnace maintenance: mid-September–mid-October
- For summer HVAC maintenance: mid-March–early May
Learn about HVAC Comfort’s process for HVAC inspection services.
What factors should I consider when choosing an HVAC service company?
The comfort of your home depends on how well the appliances and systems in it are running. One of the most expensive systems in your home is your HVAC system, which is why it’s especially important to hire an HVAC service provider you can trust. Here are a few things to ask or look for when making your choice:
- Experience and licenses: Ask potential service providers about the licenses they hold, whether they’re bonded and insured, and how long they’ve been in business. A company can’t stay in business for long if it’s not regularly doing things right.
- Referrals or references: The best place to start with this inquiry is with your family and friends. Ask them how comfortable they were with the contractor’s level of expertise, whether they finished the job on time and on budget, and how much attention the contractor paid to keeping their home clean. Ask the company for references, call those references, and ask the same questions.
- Evaluations and estimates: Does the HVAC company offer whole home evaluations when someone is considering an AC installation or furnace installation? When their evaluation is complete, do they provide the homeowner with a detailed estimate?
- Professionalism: How do the company vehicles look? Are they well maintained and in good shape? A company that takes pride in its work will also take pride in its equipment.
How often should I change my HVAC air filters?
To keep your HVAC system running efficiently and your indoor air quality healthier, you should change your air filters at least every three months. However, when your system is running more frequently, such as during the height of the winter and summer months, you should check your filters every month. You may find that your AC maintenance and furnace maintenance tasks need to be more frequent during these times.
How do I know whether I need AC repair services or a new AC installation?
When you notice that your AC isn’t working properly or it’s making strange noises, there are some things you can do to troubleshoot the problem. Many issues, however, require the expertise of a licensed HVAC repair technician. If your AC isn’t running like it should—or it isn’t running at all—calling for AC repair service is the safest solution. The experts at HVAC Comfort can quickly assess the situation, identify the problem, and recommend the appropriate AC repair services needed. Depending on the severity of the problem and the age of your air conditioner, a new AC system may be required. You can count on HVAC Comfort to help you choose the best air conditioner to suit your needs and budget. We’ll take care of your AC installation and get you back into a comfortable home.
Interested in learning more? Check out our guides on
Should I be concerned about my indoor air quality?
If you’re seeing a lot more dust in your home, smelling mildew, or noticing that your allergies are getting worse, you may have an indoor air quality issue. Poor indoor air quality can have an impact on the health and well-being of your family and you, so it’s an issue to take very seriously. HVAC Comfort can inspect your HVAC system and locate issues that may be compromising the quality of your indoor air.
Learn more about indoor air quality and how our air quality services can help you breathe easier at home.
Have a Different HVAC Question or Want More Information?
Call us at (248) 290-9411 and our friendly office staff will get you the answers you need.
You can also fill out the form below. We’ll get back to you within 24 hours.